Jack was a young sailor. He lived in England, but he was often away with his
One summer he came back from a long voyage and found new neighbours
near his mother’s house. They had a pretty daughter, and Jack soon loved her
He said to her, ‘My next voyage will begin in a few days’ time, Gloria. I love
you, and I’ll marry you when I come back. I’ll think about you all the time, and
I’ll write to you and send you a present from every port.’
Jack’s first port was Freetown in Africa, and he sent Gloria a parrot from
there. It spoke five languages.
When Jack’s ship reached Australia, there was a letter from Gloria. It said,
‘Thank you for the parrot, Jack. It tasted much better than a chicken.’
A. Answer these questions.
1. Why did Jack make long voyages? He was a sailor.
2. Where did Gloria live? Gloria was Jack’s mother’s neighbor.
3. Why did Jack think about Gloria all the time? He loved Gloria
4. Where did Jack send Gloria the parrot from? From Freetown, Africa
5. Where did Jack get Gloria’s letter about the parrot? In Australia
6. What did Gloria do to the parrot? She ate the parrot.
B. Which words in the story on page 4 mean the opposite of:
1. short – long
2. last – first
3. ugly – pretty
4. old – new
5. little – big
6.wine – ?
7. worse – better
C. Write this story. Put one word in each empty place. You will find all the correct words in the story on page 4.
Freetown is a port in West Africa. Jack and another sailor from his ship went into a shop there and saw a beautiful bird. It was a red and grey parrot and it said ‘Hullo,’ to them. Jack said to his friend, ‘I’m going to send it to Gloria. She’s the daughter of my mother’s neighbor. It will be a nice present for her,’ Then Jack and his friend went a restaurant and ate fish and fried potatoes there. They tasted very good.